ONION - RED BARON - organic seeds
Allium cepaA well known and reliable mid to late maturing variety delivering good sized “deep red” coloured bulbs of excellent flavour. This variety stores extremely well and matures in around 24 weeks from a spring sowing
- Start in early spring indoors / heated greenhouse 8-10 weeks before transplanting outdoors.
- Can be sown in late summer / autumn to over-winter in milder UK areas.
- When transplanting, clip plants to three inches and plant 2 inches deep.
- Can be sown directly when ground has warmed in mid-late spring,
- at 2-3 seeds per inch, however bulbs may struggle to mature in poor summers.
- Thin to 5 inches apart when plants are 6 inches tall.
- Harvest young for salads or when mature as tops are brown and dry.
- Fertile, moist soil enriched with compost is best for onion production.
- Onions are claimed to ward off many insect pests around lettuce, cabbage and carrots.
Packet 50 seeds