SWISS CHARD - FORDHOOK GIANT - organic seeds
Eta vulgaris subsp. vulgarisBroad dark-green heavily crumpled leaves with white veins and stalks. Plants grow 24-28" high with 2½" wide stalks. Abundant crops all season and even after the first light frosts. 50-60 days.
Days to Germination: 7-14
Days To Harvest: 50-60
Planting Depth: 1/2 inch
Spacing, Row: 18-24 inches
Spacing, Plant: 8-12 inches
Light: Full Sun
- Swiss Chard does not transplant well and does best if the seeds are planted directly in the soil.
- Sow about 6 seeds per foot directly into the garden as soon as soil can be worked in early spring to summer through mid spring. Cover seeds with 1/2 inch of fine soil.
- When seedlings are 3 to 4 inches high thin to 8 to 12 inches apart. Use leaves from young thinned plants in salads.
- Start cutting outer leaves when plants are about 8 inches tall for extended harvest, new leaves will grow out from the centre.
- Cut back plants in late summer to rejuvenate them for fall production.
- Swiss Chard is resistant to frost, and can be harvested well after first frost.
Packet 100 seeds